01 October 2005

Irony Detectors

That's what police desperately need instead of "lie detectors" (which, I should note, don't work). It seems that Cody Cobb was interrogated by police and accused of being a terrorist for hilariously mocking a stupid fundamentalist. Apparently, the cops seem to think that if anyone is stupid enough to not get Swiftian satire, it makes whatever you wrote a criminal threat. And just how stupid do you need to be to not get that this is a joke, even without seeing the original it satirizes (line-by-line, even):
I realize many of you will not like or even agree with what I am about to say, but rest assured if you delete this email Jesus will frown on you.

The reason I walked out of class today is because I am a Christian. Zealously so. And after Friday's performance by "Dr." Patton I had prepared myself to do just that very thing if my beliefs were once again attacked by logic and reason and scientific claims that can be proven. Sure enough they were, so I left.

I don't know if anyone else has been deeply offended by some of the things "Dr." Patton has said, but my guess is yes because of the usual make-up of Baylor Students (70% Christian, 20% Adamantly Christian, 5% Fundamentalist Christians, 4% Fingers-In-The-Ears-La-La-La-La-I-Can't-Hear-You Christians, and Me.) I've been thinking about what I should do in response – I can't very well let my faith be trampled upon and I have no intention of doing so, but as a student who accidentally signed up for a science course instead of the seminary I'm not given a lot of options.

According to the bible, "Thou shalt not suffer a Witch to live." (Exodus 22:18) I feel strongly that "Dr." Patton's heretical teachings in the voodoo field of neuroscience constitutes witchcraft. Therefore, next Wednesday before lecture, I call on my fellow Christians to gather rope and kindling so that we may burn "Dr." Patton at the stake. It is my firm belief that we must set fire to ALL heretics who seek to destory our most cherished Christian beliefs. This may be crazy or irrational, but it is the only recourse I have that might actually accomplish something. Sure, I could boycott class all semester, but who else aside from me would care?
Have we really reached the point where humor is criminalized? BTW, read the whole thing - the police interrogation is even more hilarious, though only because it all turned out alright in the end. (Via Unscrewing The Inscrutable)



<< Home